Monday, June 17, 2013

Bubba

Bubba is a wonderful dog who has been to Shakespearean plays, worked as a therapy dog, helped me with two rescue dogs, is a comfort and a very dear soul.
Last August, he had his leg amputated for cancer and lives as a tri paw very nicely. But the cancer has come back.

He has a tumor that is inoperable and now we are into pain control and quality of life issues. Today was a good day for Bubba, he greeted our guests, went for a small walk ate well and is pain free but we both know he does not have a long time with us.

I will grieve terribly for my little fellow. He adopted me 13 years ago when he left his owner, who was renting from me to come with me. I knew nothing about dogs and Bubba taught me so much.

Bubba has taught me how to be present in the moment as I am with him. He no longer follows me as he used to, and sleeps more now. It will not be long when I will not hear his hop hop as he hops around the house. Soon the garden will be without its protector.

All flesh is as grass that fades and withers and dies. I know this and yet it is so hard. Oddly I am comforted by thoughts that I will see him, as all my pets in full health again. Some call it the Rainbow Bridge, I like to call it the hereafter or heaven. For a variety of reasons, I rarely attend church these days but I do believe in a loving God who in heaven, will reunite us with our loved ones. When Bubba will come to greet me, I am sure he will be the fastest of all of my pets.

For now I have the present and thankfully wonderful pain medications that allow him to live comfortably in his last days.

Bubba will turn 18 in August. A very long, rich, fulfilled and most importantly his life was filled with love, compassion and mercy,

No comments:

Post a Comment