Monday, April 12, 2010

Dog walkers...Caveat Canis!


Yesterday I was reminded of how important it is to teach your dog the 'come' command. I own two dogs and walk others but I never let any dog off leash unless I am 100% certain of their recall. It is safer for me and for the little dogs.

Today at a park I met a lady who had a fairly large dog pack of close to 15 dogs, all sizes and all colours and all off leash. One of them decided to follow me and my little client. Shout as she may the little dog did not listen. The little fellow was a very cute dog but had no recall whatsoever.

Eventually I concluded she would follow me and I left the park with the dog and approached the road I saw that she was not following us but had elicited the help of a total stranger to 'catch' the dog. I caught the little dog, calmed him down and gave him to the dog catcher.

Folks if you are thinking of a dog walker ask the following questions for your dog's sake:

1)How many dogs do you walk at a time?
2) What is your off leash policy?
3) What kind of restraints do you have in the car?
4) Are you or have you taken a course in pet first aid?
5) Does your dog know the 'come' command? If not get your little dog trained.

No comments:

Post a Comment